Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thing #15 Wiki

I didn't know that wiki was the Hawaiian word for quick, however I was aware of the possibilities wikis offer. The information management, collaborative options, and accessibility of these content managers make wikis appealing to a lot of people from many different professions. The main disclaimer I would throw out there about wikis is that anyone (and I do put heavy emphasis on anyone) can use, edit, and create posted material. Some of the misleading information is easy to recognize and ignore, but some people are pretty good at fabricating fiction into facts. So if you ever see something posted saying that the American Civil War was fought over bakeries and doughnuts that is a clear telltale sign that you might not want to use information from that particular wiki database. The Book Lovers Wiki (developed by the Princeton Library) and the WikiEducator were interesting because both shared some ideas that I would use if I had my own classroom. I like how the Princeton Library encouraged participants by offering prizes for entries. The entries encouraged me to want to read Flushed and start something similar in the school library here. They are convenient because people can't always make it to book club meetings etc. and it could be used synonymously with one so people can later add thoughts to a book or give people who missed the session an opportunity to respond.
The WikiEducator was ok...it provided a lot of extra, but underneath all of that was some pretty good ideas on how to use a wiki in an educational setting. I aspire to take the challenge and create my own wiki. I would use wikis in the classroom to let the students elaborate on each other's ideas, add suggestions or information to my posts, and have fun with it. The APSU 23 Things Sandbox was fun because it allowed me to look back on the 1st blog I posted and elaborate on what I've written because I've learned a lot about technology that I didn't know and it is kind of fun to see how a lot of my opinions have changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment